The mission of the Lamasco Neighborhood Association is
to promote friendship, goodwill and unity among persons who live in the neighborhood (see map below);
to promote the correction of any neighborhood problems brought to the attention of the Association by its members;
to prevent crime;
to promote traffic safety; and
to promote the betterment of the neighborhood and the well-being of the persons who live in the neighborhood.
The Lamasco Neighborhood Association was formed in 2004 to promote the betterment of the neighborhood and to foster friendship, goodwill, and the well-being of those living in the neighborhood. The association takes its name from the former town of Lamasco. The boundaries encompass most of the western part of the original town.
The land for the town of Lamasco was platted in 1837 and the town was incorporated in 1839. The name was created from portions of the last names of the proprietors of the town, John and William Law, James B. MacCall, and Lucius H. Scott and included land on both sides of Pigeon Creek – from Saint Joseph Avenue on the west, east to First Avenue and from Maryland Street on the north, and south to the Ohio River.
In 1857, the area of Lamasco east of Pigeon Creek was annexed by Evansville; the part west of the creek remained independent and quickly became known as Independence. Thirteen years later, Evansville proposed annexing Independence, although many residents opposed the annexation. By the summer of 1870, Independence became part of Evansville and the name “Independence” gradually disappeared.
Within the Lamasco neighborhood is the Independence Historic District which was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. This historic district includes many buildings of significance both historically and architecturally on Wabash Avenue and West Franklin Street.
In the summer the 1913 West Branch (Carnegie) Library is the site of the Franklin Street Bazaar and in October, West Franklin Street is closed for the week-long West Side Nut Club Fall Festival (billed as the Second Largest Street Festival in the Country).
President: Fred Mulfinger
Treasurer: Dave King
Representatives: Fred Mulfinger & Dave King
Lamasco Neighborhood Association is temporarily not conducting General Meetings.
Contact Fred Mulfinger at 812-425-1037 or
email@example.com to verify meeting dates & times.
This neighborhood is in the West Sector.
Crime Prevention Officer (CPO): Jay Pagett 812-485-3065
Meeting Date: 3rd Thursday of odd months
Location: Crime Prevention Office, CK Newsome Center, 100 E Walnut St., Suite 100, Evansville, IN 47713
Boundaries & Map
Download the KML file here. Map and KML file updated 08/09/2021