Join us for the 21st Annual Sparkplug Celebration Thursday, October 27th, 2016 at 6 p.m. in the Walnut Rooms at the Tropicana Executive Conference Center!
Our annual celebration of Evansville’s neighborhoods formally recognizes community “Sparkplugs,” individuals who go above and beyond to serve their neighbors and neighborhood, with a banquet style awards program. Over 300 neighborhood and community leaders attend each year, and we hope you will be among them!
We are thrilled to announce the keynote speaker will be Wil Marquez of w/Purpose, an urban and public design firm from Indianapolis, Indiana. Mr. Marquez is an authority on urban and public design and has led collaborative projects on creative place making, branding, and design.
Please contact email@example.com if you are interested in sponsorship of the event or for more information.
2016 Fall Heavy Trash Pick-Up Begins Monday, August 22
The Evansville Water & Sewer Utility announces that Heavy Trash Pick-up will begin next Monday, August 22, and is scheduled to run through Friday, October 21. The semi-annual curbside service is available to city residents who pay for trash service with their monthly water bill, including newly-annexed areas. Apartment complexes, mobile home communities and business/commercial customers are not eligible.
The collection schedule and area maps are available on the City of Evansville’s GIS website at www.evansvillegis.com/trash. To help keep crews on schedule and prevent heavy trash from sitting out on the curb longer than necessary, the number of days allocated for collection in each specific area has been determined based on the volume of heavy trash in the past and the number of days required to collect the trash.
Heavy trash must be placed in manageable, organized piles where normal weekly trash is collected before 6 a.m. on the first day collection is scheduled in each specific area.
Items that will be collected include:
- Must be rolled in sections no longer than 4 ft. and no wider than 2 ft. in diameter
- Sofas, tables, chairs, mattresses, box springs, etc.
- Stoves, refrigerators, washing machines, water heaters, etc.
- Limit two of each type of appliance per household
- NO Televisions or electronics.
- NO computers or accessories
- Building materials/construction debris
- Must be in trash cans, boxes, etc. of such size and weight that they can be reasonably lifted by two average adults
- Containers must be strong enough that they do not break apart while being lifted even if they are wet
- Privacy fence sections must be cut in half or smaller manageable size
- NO concrete blocks, bricks or steel poles
Items that will NOT be collected include:
- Any trash that Republic Services would pick up as part of its regular residential waste collection contract
- Televisions or electronics
- Automobile parts
- Hazardous materials
- Computers or accessories
- Concrete blocks, bricks or steel poles
Heavy trash that does not meet these requirements will not be picked up. If a customer has complied with all of the heavy trash collection requirements yet feels they were missed, they should call Republic Services at (812) 424-3345 within two days to report a possible missed pick-up.
Note that many items not collected through the city’s heavy trash pick-up can be properly disposed of through programs offered by the Vanderburgh County Solid Waste District, including Tire Amnesty Days, Electronics Recycling Days and Household Hazardous Waste Day (Tox Away Day). Additional information about these programs and upcoming program dates is available on the Solid Waste District’s section of the city website at www.evansvillegov.org/Index.aspx?page=50 or by calling (812) 436-7800.
CONTACT: Edward Ziemer
Evansville Water & Sewer Utility
Thank you to Ella Johnson-Watson, Director of Communications at Mayor Winneke’s office, for the information.
It’s almost time for National Night Out 2017! Tuesday , August 1st meet us at Wesselman Park from 6-8:30 PM for free food, games and fun! Local law enforcement will be on hand for safety demonstrations, as well as lots of local organizations with fun goodies and information. UNOE will be on hand with our new misting station to help keep you cool!
Hope to see you there!